As of May 2017, this search is in an advanced stage.
A global organization created to address challenges and opportunities regarding applications and influences of AI, the Partnership on Artificial Intelligence to Benefit People and Society is looking for a founding Executive Director. Established in February 2017, the Partnership on AI (PAI, or the Partnership) unites some of the world’s biggest companies and independent non-profit organizations spanning civil liberties, philanthropy and academia. Our mission is to ensure that the changes and opportunities brought about by AI are of benefit to people and society.
For more information about the Partnership on AI to Benefit People and Society, please click here.
Role of the Executive Director
The Executive Director (ED) will help build a dynamic partnership of organizations committed to advancing AI for the benefit of people and society. S/he will help build the organization from the ground up and drive activities that further the Partnership’s goals and tenets. The ED will work closely with the Board of Trustees of the Partnership and will be responsible for setting the strategic priorities of the organization and for managing the day-to-day operations.
In the course of her or his work, the ED will convene researchers and experts in relevant fields and work closely with organizations and leading experts from a diverse range of areas related to AI. The ED will play a pivotal role in helping PAI contribute to the debate on AI-related topics that will deeply impact society and the world around us.
In order to effectively build and lead the Partnership, the ED will be expected to seize and execute upon the following opportunities:
- Translate the vision and goals of PAI into an impactful strategy
- Build a vibrant, collaborative and diverse global group of Partner organizations that engage in an ambitious program of activities
- Create operations, infrastructure, and culture for a new organization
- Ensure the development of best practices that have real impact
- Communicate the learnings and insights of PAI to a broad public audience
- Identify and foster aspirational efforts in AI for socially beneficial purposes
Qualifications and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will be thoroughly committed to PAI’s tenets and mission and have proven leadership and management experience. Concrete experience, qualifications and characteristics should include:
- At least five years’ experience managing at the top level of a high-profile organization
- Experience convening and facilitating dialogue across multiple stakeholder groups with different backgrounds and views
- Experience managing multiple internal and external stakeholders, both individual and institutional, at senior levels
- Comfort with a start-up environment and ability to effectively navigate ambiguity
- Experience translating strategy to impact at pace
- Experience of working successfully with a diverse Board of Directors, or similar decision-making body
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Affable, enjoys working with diverse groups of people, with a sense of humility and a deep desire to learn
Applications, Inquiries, and Nominations
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Electronic submission of materials is required.
David Bellshaw and Andrew Lee are leading this search with Emily Chiswick-Patterson and Rebecca Isaacson.
PAI is committed to having balanced representation at the leadership, executive, and operations levels, as well as being committed to equal opportunities.